The Italian Job: Tom Nicocelli’s Positively Remarkable Story (DC)

Effervescent (adj.) — giving off bubbles; fizzy. Can also mean vivacious and enthusiastic. For our most recent Positivity Award winner, this term is apt. He’s bubbly, he’s vivacious and gosh darn it if he hasn’t told you how much he loves November Project in the past 12 minutes. Folks, without further ado, please enjoy the always effervescent Tom Nicocelli.

How were you introduced to November Project?
I was buying coffee at Whole Foods Foggy Bottom on a Wednesday in early May and I overheard two people in front of me (who now I know are Libby and Kathleen) saying something like, “The workout today was great!” and I noticed that they knew other people behind me and in front of me. I kept my cool pretending I did not hear and I asked my friend the barista at Whole Foods (full disclosure: I work at Whole Foods, but not at this one) what was going on. She said, “Hi, Tom, they are the runners and there are lots of people and they are here every Wednesday!” I was like, “Runners? I am a runner too, let me check what is going on here.”

I approached who I now know is Libby and asked, “Hey, what is going on here, you guys seem to take over Whole Foods cafe and my friend at the bar said you are runners?” Libby did not answer; she basically took my phone from my hand (not kidding!) and liked for me the Facebook and Instagram pages of November Project DC and said, “Here, now you know what is going on. We are the November Project crowd and you should join us.” And she left. The next Wednesday, I showed up at Lincoln Memorial and the rest is history.

What do you remember about your first workout or thinking at/after your first workout?
My first workout in early May was interesting because I was not sure what was going on. I saw all these people bouncing, giving high fives, some hugs, I noticed they knew each other’s names and were pretty happy to be there that early on a Wednesday morning. I tend to be skeptical when I see something too good to be truth so I kept my cool, pretending I knew what was going on and pretending that was all normal to me (which in the beginning I was like, “What is going on here?”).

Then this guy by the name Jake asked my name, then a person by the name Maria introduced herself and I started thinking that was for real. I said, I will remain cool here and show up again to see what happens. That Friday I couldn’t go, but then on Monday I showed up at Meridian Hill and the same folks showed up. I thought, “Ok, this is not too good to be true, it is just good and the real thing.” The rest, yet again, is history.